Picky Little Eaters!
Let me start off by saying I am in no way an expert on this topic. I have done a ton of research on this while I was pregnant with Eleanor. Every kid is different, I am just sharing what has worked for me and some helpful tips that may help.
Having a picky eater can be caused by so many things. It can be a personality trait, a control thing, social influences, or even maternal eating habits. It can also be a kid being a kid. I find if I make food fun and positive it helps lighten the mood. I am not even the worlds best cook, but when I lighten the mood about it , it helps.
A big contributor of feeding our kids is psychological. The "fear" of trying something new freaks them out... Well isn't that crazy, it's the same in our grown up lives. Leading by example isn't always the easiest option. Especially with busy schedules and working parents I get it! We just have to keep in mind we are in charge and diffuse the power struggle. Eating is something that can be carried on into their adult life so let's get them eating healthy now.
These are a few tips that have worked for us! Be patient, and don't give up.
- Expose them to new and different things. Spices, Textures, Ethnic foods.. Try it all!
little tip (trader joe's makes frozen meals)
- Change it up, don't serve them chicken fingers and fries everyday
- Don't feed them their own food, they eat what you eat
- Involve them in prep and cooking, make it fun and lead by example
little tip (we play music every night while making dinner)
- If you know your child definitely doesn't like something don't force it, give them a healthy alternative
- Make a juicy fruit or vegetable as valuable as a dessert item.
little tip (sprinkle a little salt on veggies or sugar on fruits) sweeten the deal
- Don't ban sugar "treats" just limit
* Eleanor knows she can have ex. 3 M&M's if she eats good.. not the entire bag
- Put Value in meal time, having a consistent schedule is helpful. Try to eat together as often as possible. Engage during dinner time so your child knows it's family time and important to eat a good meal.
As I said in the beginning of this post, I am not an expert. Full disclosure Eleanor eats dog food every once in a while. So there's that.
I just enjoy sharing with you so much and if I can help in anyway do not hesitate to reach out.
Stay strong mommas XO